I have no doubts that packing one suitcase for three months is possible. My concern is whether I will be packing the right things. There are a lot of items I need to bring but I need to keep in mind the following when it comes specifically to clothes:
- locations (what is the terrain like)
- weather (what are the seasons and temperatures like)
- religion (as a woman, do I need to be adequately covered)
- modes of travel (weight, size and amount restrictions)
Here is what I know about our trip relating to these:
- locations (rugged in parts and lots of up and down steps to climb)
- weather (mostly warm temperatures, 20 degrees Celsius or more, with high humidity except when we reach Europe)
- religion (we will need scarves and long sleeves and long pants, particularly in India)
- modes of travel (we are doing it all and have rented small cars. )
Don’t pack your suitcase to capacity.
It is safe to say overpacking is the biggest mistake that travellers make. Besides taking a good quality suitcase, smaller is better. I have discovered over the years that the size of the case usually determines weight.
I read that one should remove one-third of what one has packed and then add one-third of the money one plan to take.